Most people have plans or at least an idea of the way they want their life to be. Some people figure this out very early in life, some very late and others might not even know what it is they actually want, thus, taking it day by day and waiting to see what happens.
I will be turning 30 early next year and I will like to think that my life has followed in some sort of direction, hopefully for better (lol). I have compiled a small list of things to do before you turn 30. They are in no particular order and of course, depends on you.
1. The first on the list is financial security. Obviously, to have this, one has to have a solid skill foundation. Whether it is from going to college, getting a trade qualification or simply having the courage to follow whatever talent you may have. At 21 to 24 years of age, many students would have achieved their professional qualification, assuming they enrolled immediately after secondary school. And if you were to nurse your talent, e.g, being a singer or actor, you are sure to have started much earlier; perhaps in your teens. So it is a matter of getting a proper job ( If you are lucky in this economic downturn) and moving towards financial freedom if you can.
2. Buy a house. If you are one of those people who think that renting a house (especially for a long period of time) is a total waste of money, then you might want to plan ahead so as not to be stuck in a house renting cycle. You can either buy a house through a mortgage or use the fall of property prices to become mortgage free. Either way, saving is the key. Buying a house is an investment for the present and your future, so why not start as soon as you can.
3. Be in a serious relationship. It has increasingly become common for a lot of people to settle down in to family life in their mid to late 30’s and even early 40’s. It is not a must that one must get married, be in a serious relationship or even have children. But if you believe that one of the aforementioned is for you, then you might want to start really thinking about a serious partner.
4. Exercise. This is an ongoing activity everyone should engage in as often as possible. There are so many reasons why you should exercise. It goes beyond the present craze of having a lighter body weight. It is about strength, connecting with your body and being in control of it. There is a nice mental feeling to be able to take a few minutes to care for yourself. It could be Pilates, yoga, any form of cardio, strength training, a walk or even a quiet moment to meditate. As your 30th year on earth approaches, making exercise a habit, will go a long way through the next chapter of your life.
5. Find your self. Growing into who you are is more than just fulfilling society’s expectations or conforming to a particular order of values, customs and traditions of the present day. Among those include the numerous amount of information all around us that we often absorb and might suddenly find ourselves grooming subconsciously. It becomes a fusion of who we think we are and who we think we should be. 20’s is perhaps a time when young people try to figure out that confusion on their own. So by the time 30 is knocking at your door, hopefully, you would have at least be well into your way; figuring and accepting who you are.
Finally, (if you have not already started) believe in yourself and most importantly, love you.
I asked someone today what I should do before I turn 30. The answer was “be happy”. What do you think?